[mou] Barrow's - Reads Landing, and Harlequin - Prescott

Phil Dech pdech at charter.net
Tue Mar 4 21:57:34 CST 2008

Both are still present.

I saw the Barrow's this afternoon, from the town of Read's Landing on the street adjacent to the railroad tracks just a few blocks east of where CR-77 crosses Hwy 61.  I wonder whether this might be the one that I saw in Red Wing just after New Year's.  The large mixed flock of Goldeneyes and Mergansers that had been present in Red Wing at CBC and for a few weeks afterwards melted away, and I am not sure where they might have gone.  There are a couple of scenic turn-offs just west of Reads Landing that had some open water which I checked out today.  I saw a few Bald Eagles but no ducks.

I spent about 20 minutes observing the Harlequin Duck at Prescott on Sun, 3/2.  I found it quickly, it was actively feeding adjacent to the MN-side trestle of the railroad bridge.  I saw him earlier this winter, but was able to get much better views the second time around.  I was struck by how he pops out of the water like a cork after he dives, usually (at 20x) within the same scope view.  I also saw a Robin in Prescott, hopefully a harbinger of Spring...

Phil Dech
Red Wing