[mou] Saw-whet, Owl Clearwater Cty

Larson Kelly northernflights at charter.net
Fri Mar 7 13:28:56 CST 2008

Yesterday the bird activity at the feeders was noticeably light. I
was starting to think that the large flocks of Redpolls and Goldfinch
had begun seasonal movement. At 6:15 pm I discovered a Saw-whet in
the ancient apple tree near several feeders. It was concentrating on
the ground, looking for small rodents. The bird did not seem to mind
my presence so I crept close enough to get a couple of pictures, then
left it to it's hunting.

I had been wondering when I would actually see a Saw-whet here. I had
one calling last Spring pretty consistently and have two boxes up for
them, but no activity yet. With the all the feeding stations
positioned around the house I had expected to attract a few more
nocturnal predators. I'm sure that I have some of the fattest mice in
the county!

Also new to the Bagley Farm list, our first Flying Squirrel. I was
fairly sure that they were present, but they have been very elusive.

Kelly Larson
Bagley/Bemidji Minnesota

Eschew Obfuscation!
The middle of Nowhere is Somewhere!