[mou] Grey Cloud Dunes SNA, Cottage Grove Ravine Park

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Mon Mar 10 22:18:56 CDT 2008

Grey Cloud Dunes SNA was relatively quiet Sunday, even along the wooded
shoreline. There were a couple of red-tail hawk sightings, along with the
usual cast of winter residents. However, we did get long looks at a shrike,
who was frequenting the trees just northeast of the railroad underpass. It
even treated us to some of its "song" repertoire, before moving east in its
quest for food. We later saw what we took to be its cache, which seemed to
have a chunk of small rodent.

At Cottage Grove Ravine we found more red-tails, and a flock of horned
larks. Near the entrance road to the park there was also a possible
red-shouldered hawk, which perched briefly on a telephone wire.

Linda Whyte