[mou] Lansing Loop Scouting Report

fred lesher corax6330 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 20:40:58 CDT 2008

I scouted the west, Minn./Ia., side of the Loop today.

There is  very little open water along the Mississippi
River on either the Minn. or Wis. sides of the River.

At New Albin, Iowa at Poole Slough, there were 9
Sandhill Cranes cranking out their wild calls.

There are migrant Bald Eagles standing around on the
ice, and at least one active nest.

The only concentration of waterfowl was at Heytman's
Station, a remote area off Hwy X52 in Allamakee Co.,
Iowa, between Lansing & Harper's Ferry, Iowa. Here
were several thousand waterfowl of 13 species,
including Canvasbacks & Redhead ducks. They are quite
distant (600-800 yards), binoc identifiable, but best
enjoyed with a scope.

The usual Ring-billed Gulls have returned, mostly
below the dams.

Unfortunately, Loop participants arriving at the
Dresbach Information Center for the 9AM meeting time
will have to drive past the Center toward LaCrescent,
turn around at the Kwik Trip in LaCrescent, and drive
north under I90 to make a right turn into the Center.
In other words, there is no east/southbound entrance
from I90 into the Center.

Fred Lesher
LaCrosse, Wis.