[mou] Harlequin duck and his friends

Larry Sirvio lmsirvio at comcast.net
Sat Mar 15 20:56:22 CDT 2008

I got another look at the Harlequin duck this morning. He was on the rocks behind Price-Rite Liquor store in Prescott, Wi. I got some better pics today. He was loafing on the rocks close to a group of mallards. Eventually the mallards moved off and the Harlequin folowed  -  like he was one of the group. They swam across the river and sat on the opposite shore (Dakota Co). I posted the pics from today on the MOU website Galllery - MN region since I saw them in MN this time. For me this might have been the chance of a lifetime to get such a close look at this duck.

http://moumn.org/gallery/index.php?region=MN

I'm wondering if this duck thinks he's a mallard. Maybe that's why he is where he is and is so easy to observe. He was very purposefully following the mallards as they left the shore and as they swam to the other side. He clearly wanted to be a part of the group. When they got to the other side they all sat together on the sandy shore next to the water - ready for another nap I suppose. Has anyone else seen this behavior?