[mou] Birding about the Metro

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 17 01:39:03 CDT 2008

A few days ago I found a group of courting Hooded Mergansers at the west
outfall of Black Dog Lake near 35w and the Minnesota River.

That day I also saw a Red-tailed Hawk flying by the Best Buy headquarters in
Richfield carrying a stick.  I will have to figure out where the nest is.

Today I went down to Black Dog Lake where I ran into and joined Craig
Mandel's group.  I expect he will report later.  The seven species of
waterfowl that we saw, included a couple of Bufflehead that they probably
did not find.

I also stopped by a Dave Cahlander's in Burnsville to enjoy a cooperative
and quite colorful Tufted Titmouse.  The surprising visitors were a couple
of Pine Siskins.

The Northern Flicker continues to stop by my feeders as it has all winter.

sweston2 at comcast.net