[mou] Sax Zim observations,3/16/08...

SCmzd at aol.com SCmzd at aol.com
Mon Mar 17 13:28:53 CDT 2008

Went to the sax zim bog yesterday and was happy to find the  following:
2 Rough legged hawks on Sax Road.
1 northern shrike on Sax Road.
2 gray jays, one on Mcdavitt, and one on admiral road.
20 snow buntings on Hwy 7.
small flock of pine siskins on Admiral road.
Many black capped chickadees on Admiral road.
2 boreal chickadees, one on Mcdavitt, one on Admiral.
1 adult bald eagle feeding on a deer carcass on Hwy 133.
Many crows, which yesterday greatly outnumbered the ravens.
3 Three toed woodpeckers, (2 males and 1 female), foraging in close
proximity to each other on Mcdavitt Rd.
All sightings took place from 1:00pm to 6:00pm.
I spent the majority of time with the three toed woodpeckers.  The two  males
interacted several times and usually with aggression.  One time they  squared
off on the same tree flaring their wings to appear large and rattling at  one
another, very cool!  Only observed one of the males and the female  interact
once.  The male flew over to the tree the female was on and while  inches
appart they began to bob their heads in unison, very not  aggresive:)  While
watching one of the three toeds forage on a fallen  spruce some 10ft in front of
me, a boreal chickadee appeared very close by,  presented quite a dilemma as to
which species to watch:)
Happy Birding, Shawn Zierman.