[mou] Hoodies in Hastings

Richard Wood rwoodphd at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 11:56:31 CDT 2008

Hi all,

This morning, I stopped on the east side of the hastings bridge, as I had seen some dark birds on the water, which I thought might be cormorants.  So, I pulled into the road that leads to the marina, and got out and walked down to the water.

When I looked out, I saw among the Canada Geese and Ring-billed Gulls several male Hoooded Mergansers swimming and diving their merry way through the river.  At first, I thought they were Buffleheads, but when I saw their reddish sides and their variable amount of white on their heads, I knew they were indeed Hoodies.

Good birding,
Richard

Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
Hastings, MN