[mou] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Thursday, March 20, 2008

Jeanie Joppru ajjoppru at wiktel.com
Thu Mar 20 21:33:44 CDT 2008

American Tree Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
House Finch
Common Redpoll
Pine Siskin
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: March 20, 2008
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru (ajjoppru at wiktel.com)

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, March 20,
2008 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You
may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

Spring has definitely arrived. Many species are finally making it to
northern Minnesota, including several species of raptor, grouse are
starting to dance, and we are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the first
Killdeer. Even a few geese have arrived.

Larry Wilebski in Kittson County reported seeing a BALD EAGLE and a
MERLIN on March 14 at his cabin northwest of Lancaster.

>From Agassiz NWR in Marshall County, Gary Tischer reported that as of
tonight, about 40 CANADA GEESE are standing on the ice awaiting the
melt. On March 17 three NORTHERN HARRIERS were seen on the refuge, a
GOLDEN EAGLE was spotted on South Pool, and a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK was seen
at Parker Pool.

A lone CANADA GOOSE scout was spotted on March 18 flying over Thief
River Falls in Pennington County, and since then several other sightings
have been reported in this and surrounding counties.

In Red Lake County, Steve Dahl heard a pair of GREAT HORNED OWLS
duetting in the night along CR 1 east of Plummer this week.

Alice Sather reported seeing several swans, most likely TRUMPETER SWANS
near Fosston in Polk County on March 16, and Anita Vettleson saw three
of them at the intersection of MN 32 and US 2 this week. Soon we will
have hundreds of them migrating through northwestwern Minnesota. Mike
Christopherson and John Loegering both reported seeing and hearing a
MERLIN in Oakdale Cemetery in Crookston on March 15. Bruce Flaig now has
heard a pair of NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWLS calling near his property in the
southern part of the county. Kelly Larson found an occupied BALD EAGLE
nest on the north side of US 2 just west of Erskine on March 13. Other
species seen in Polk County included SHARP-TAILED GROUSE, NORTHERN
HARRIER, ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, and HORNED LARKS.

Matt Mecklenburg in Clay County reported NORTHERN HARRIER and COMMON
REDPOLLS on March 18.

Joan Burke reported a SWAINSON'S HAWK on March 19 about a mile west of
the intersection of US 59 and MN 34 in Becker County, and a BROAD-WINGED
HAWK near the Clay County line along MN 34.

>From Otter Tail County, Tom Smith observed NORTHERN HARRIER, AMERICAN
KESTREL, and AMERICAN TREE SPARROW on March 18. Dan and Sandy Thimgan
reported the first male RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD on March 19. Amy Drake saw
a male NORTHERN HARRIER along CR 14 north of Ottertail on March 17. Alma
Ronningen observed an AMERICAN ROBIN on March 17, a pair of SANDHILL
CRANES on March 18, and several HOUSE FINCHES on March 20.

Ryan Sansness in Douglas County on March 16 reported 4 swans on Long
Prairie Dam, and CANADA GEESE. At the feeders at Lake Carlos State Park
there were four PINE SISKINS and one COMMON REDPOLL. RED-BELLIED
WOODPECKER, DOWNY WOODPECKER, HAIRY WOODPECKER, and PILEATED WOODPECKERS
were also seen.

Thanks to all the folks who sent in their sightings this week. Please be
patient if not all of your reports get mentioned now that spring and
migration seem to be here.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjoppru at wiktel.com OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, March 27,
2008.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County