[mou] Migration at Lac Qui Parle (long)

JELLISBIRD at aol.com JELLISBIRD at aol.com
Sat Mar 22 22:32:33 CDT 2008

Went west today (Saturday) to Lac Qui Parle, via Swift County and up to
Ortonville. Again there are many thousands of Geese and a good smattering of ducks
in the open water areas and many flocks of geese and ducks going out to the
surrounding fields to feed. The largest numbers are Canadas, all sizes,
including lots of Cackling Canadas, (probably up to many hundreds.) I saw a smaller
Canada (not a Cackling) that had leucistic plumage-everything was very pale but
markings were distinct. The bird took off with others to go feed and it looked
simply ghostly by contrast with other Canadas. There were several thousand
Snow Geese (white and blue phases) and at least a few Ross's Geese in the area.
There were hundreds up to 2000+ of Greater White Fronted Geese. Ducks were;
mallards, hooded and common mergs, gadwell, both scaup,  (few)redheads,
(few)canvasbacks, (few)gw teal, pintails, ring-necked ducks, coot, (few)ruddy ducks,
(few)c. goldeneye and bufflehead. Saw a few Eagles, male Harriers, one
Rough-legged Hawk, many Am. Kestrel and several Red-Tails. There was also a GB Heron
and a good number of RWBlackbirds with a spattering of other blackbirds and a
couple of Grackles. Quite a few Meadowlarks were on back roads intermittantly
and there were thousands of H. Larks in groups up to a hundred. Only a few
flocks were mixed with Snow Buntings and I saw no Longspurs. I didn't make it out
to Brownsville or Mud Lake so I don't know if there is open water there.
    John Ellis-St. Paul<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Create a Home Theater
Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.<BR>
(http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?ncid=aolhom00030000000001)</HTML>