[mou] Coon Rapids Dam Area

J Fraley jfraley at usfamily.net
Wed Mar 26 20:07:38 CDT 2008

I agree that 3/25 was a fantastic March birding day in the Coon Rapids Dam Area and the only thing I would like to add to the previous list is that there were also several redhead ducks mixed in with the scaup on the north side of the dam in the late afternoon.

This afternoon(3/26)  I saw my FOY common loon about 1/4 mile up from the north side of the dam.

A Great Horned Owl is nesting in one of the Great Blue Heron nests in the rookery on the island south of the dam and can be observed from near the southern most picnic shelter in the park on the Coon Rapids side of the Mississippi River. The owl is in the fourth nest from the right as you observe across the river.l  A scope is preferable since it is a fair distance. Herons are now taking up residence in other nests near the owl. I don't know what will happen later in the season.

I also  observed a Northern Shrike on three separate days last week at the same picnic shelter.

Good birding to all.

John Fraley

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---