[mou] interesting Science Museum kestrel event

Adele Binning abinning at smm.org
Thu Mar 27 09:54:07 CDT 2008

Just thought I'd relate this interesting event from a couple of years
back.

At the Science Museum there is a large outdoor staircase that leads
from the Kellogg Plaza down to the Shepard Road level.   At points
along that suspended staircase, there are streetlights. At the base
of each streetlight, there is a metal box with a round hole on one of
the vertical faces (presumably where the electrical wires would enter
if these streetlights were put in the ground). Since these
streetlights were up in the air, mounted to the staircase, that left
a sturdy box with a hole on the side suspended way above the ground.

ANYWAY...one spring about three years ago, someone noticed a couple
of kestrels checking out the base of one of these
streetlights...perhaps as a possible nest site. For several days we
would see a kestrel enter the hole and then turn around with its head
sticking out. We were really rooting for it to choose that site but
after a few days they decided it wasn't suitable. In subsequent years
I haven't seen any similar behavior but I think I'll look again since
folks have been noticing kestrels hanging around the Museum over the
past couple of days.

Adele Binning