[mou] E. phoebe, Crosby Park, St. Paul

linda whyte linda at moosewoods.us
Thu Mar 27 15:48:23 CDT 2008

An Eastern phoebe was hunting the hillside next to the east entrance of
Crosby Farm Park this afternoon. Also present, on the lake ice, were 4 GB
herons who had started fishing in the backwaters by the bridge, before
moving to the big lake. They seemed undecided how to divvy up fishing
territory in the small open areas adjacent to the north shore, where two of
the many gulls, at least, had gotten a couple of fish.

Both on the north shore of the main lake, and in the conifers along the
river trail, there were many brown creepers feeding diligently, and
vocalizing. In the same area, among a flock of chickadees and nuthatches,
there was one bird that caught my attention because of its smaller size and
slender shape. It made no discernible sound, and I had only a fleeting
glance of its undersides, but I think it might have been a golden-crowned
kinglet.

Linda Whyte