[mou] Whimbrel report, Washington Co., etc.

James Mattsson mattjim at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 27 17:54:57 CDT 2008

FYI - Today while birding near Prescott,  I met a couple from Finland  who were birding the metro area for a couple of days.  In recounting the birds he'd seen in the area, the husband, Timo, mentioned seeing a Whimbrel at the mouth of Brown's Creek at the north side of Stillwater. He said it was near the marina and flushed upriver. He said he is very familiar with Whimbrel from Finland and elsewhere and is certain of the sighting. He said he was very surprised to see one so early since they don't usually arrive until late April or May in Finland. I told him that mid-May is when they pass through Minnesota. He noted the long decurved bill and bold eye stripes. The bird vocalized which he described accurately. The bird was seen at about 11:00am. He said he would gladly provide documentation using the MOU web site. I ended up birding with them for a couple of hours and he was an excellent observer. Sorry I don't have a more detailed description of the exact site where the bird was seen. but he pointed to an area between Dellwood Rd N and Fairy Falls Rd N.  I believe the current early date for Minnesota is April 26. The median date is May 19.

Prior to meeting these folks, I estimated 5,000 + gulls at the Pine Bend landfill near Hi 52.  I observed from Biscayne Ave. but was unable to ID anything other than Ring-billeds and Herrings at this distance. But I KNOW there is something else lurking in their midst.

Finally, I was unable to relocate the Harlequin Duck today.

Jim

James Mattsson
mattjim at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.