[mou] Barred Owl availability

Thomas Maiello thomas at angelem.com
Fri Mar 28 14:26:08 CDT 2008

Apparently my little basketball sized Barred Owl buddy is becoming a
quasi-regular at the tree outside my office window.  It is easily seen
fully from my deck with full sun in the late morning until noon with
limb shadows popping up in early afternoon on.  My camera isn't
sufficient to take full advantage of his close and stationary
proximity but I did have the thrill of watching it snag an early
spring golden gopher from the edge of my house.

If you would like to take advantage of this opportunity to take
pictures of the bird, hopefully with a telephoto camera, email your
interest and we will see what we can set up and if the bird's and your
timing coincide.  Once it comes, it seems to stay for the day - at
least 6 hours each of the three times in the last two weeks that I
have noticed - mid-to-late morning until at least mid-afternoon.
Still there now at 2:30 pm.  Of course I wouldn't have spotted it
today had it not gone after the ground squirrel - so I just have to
remember to look for the cammied beastie.

By the way, a wave of chickadees flew around it and landed on the
branch it was on as well as adjacent ones.  The owl didn't even open
it's eyes.  Same thing with the gray squirrels.

Thomas Maiello
Angel Environmental Management, Inc.
Maple Grove, MN