[mou] Sandhill cranes in Rochester

Steve Baumgartner kingoftheicedragons at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 29 07:57:35 CDT 2008

My wife and I went to Eastside Wildlife Management Area in Rochester last night.  It was a place that we had driven past several times and didn't even know it was there. It is apparently one of the two best birding locations in the county. When we got there, the only bird we were seeing was a redwing blackbird perched up in one of the trees. However, we could hear some other birds, including one that was a very loud sound that we had never heard before, and we knew there was something interesting lurking in the tall grasses around us. Unfortunately, we couldn't see what was making it. Fortunately for us, as we were walking around trying to find the source of this sound, two other men came with their binoculars out, so I knew that they too were there to bird. I asked them if they knew what was making the sound. Their answer? Sandhill crane, and they helped us to find them out in the grasses. There were two of them, doing their mating dance. We were very
 pleased, especially when they said not too many people around here see or hear them, and were thankful for their help, since even if we had found them on our own, our binoculars are not good enough that we would have been able to identify them at a distance.