[mou] Purgatory Creek Blind-Eden Prairie

John Cyrus cyrus150 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 30 12:49:01 CDT 2008

My sister, Lynn, and I went to Purgatory Creek Blind to see if there was much open water.   Finally there is a significant enough area that has melted.   Before we got to the blind we saw our first Eastern Phoebe just singing away along the creek.  There were a few Tree Sparrows near the blind as well.   At the blind, Lynn spotted a flock of around 20 Northern Pintails that flew overhead, descended towards us, and then flew off.   I was able to get a great picture of them in flight.   Also flying by was a flock of 30-40 Tundra Swans calling as they flew overhead.   I believe there was another group of Tundra Swans that was flying even higher than this group, and there may have been another group that flew overhead earlier.   I heard them but did not see them.  A funny sight to see was a lone Canada Goose flying at the tail end of the Tundra Swan flock.   Also at the blind

Killdeer
Great Blue Heron
Trumpeter Swan
Hooded Merganser
Blue-winged Teal
Green-winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Bufflehead
Mallard
Canada Geese

There was a possible Goldeneye as well, but  it was staying too far from our view.  I really only viewed the white breast and dark head.    There were gulls around.  I am no expert when it comes to gulls, but I am fairly sure most(if not all) were Ring-billed.  Spur of the moment mammal watching turned up a Mink that dove into the creek.

John