[mou] Barred Owl and Red Shouldered Hawk - Anoka County Rum River Central Park

Todd Merefield tjmerf74 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 30 18:56:37 CDT 2008

Today at Rum River Park Central in Anoka County, we saw a Red Shouldered Hawk carrying a vole as soon as we got out of the car.  Later, while walking the paved trails, we came across a Barred Owl perched in a tree.   As we were watching the owl, a small mammal (I'm guessing a Mink but am not sure) came walking by.  The owls head was going back and forth from us to the mammal.  This thing was pretty big, so I don't think it was a possible meal for the owl.  It was probably 24 - 30 inches in length, long tail and very dark/shiny brown.