[mou] American Pipits, etc. at 180th St Marsh--- Dakota

Drewbec at aol.com Drewbec at aol.com
Sun Mar 30 21:43:53 CDT 2008

I'm the guilty party that found the American Pipit at 180th St.  Marsh.
Haven't had an opportunity until now to make this report.  Fortunately, Susan and
Bruce Fall and Rob Daves were there as well to enjoy the  bird. Susan located
another in the same vicinity while we were observing one of  the birds, so at
least 2 were present. This is the third time I've found  American Pipit in
March in Dakota County. Not record early, but still an  interesting early date in
a year that migration seems to be lagging on the slow  side.

The shorebird that flew in while we were all standing there  was not a
Semipalmated Plover. It was a "Yellowlegs" species, that seemed  intermediate to us
at the time. To me, after additional study later this  afternoon, I believe it
was a Lesser Yellowlegs. This bird stayed only about  5-10 minutes, and then
took off again.

Drew Smith
Eagan, Dakota County

Home.