[mou] waterfowl in Nobles & Jackson Co's

Kim R Eckert eckertkr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 12:07:08 CDT 2008

My Minn Birding Weekends group covered parts of Nobles and Jackson
counties on 29-30 March and found what was probably one of the largest
concentrations of geese ever recorded in the state. The numbers, at
least, were certainly larger than anything I had ever seen in
Minnesota. Although we were unable to attempt an overall count, I
would conservatively say we saw a minimum of 50,000 geese. Of these, I
would estimate that Snows, Greater White-fronteds, and Cackling Geese
were present in roughly equal numbers, with each species comprising
about 30% of the total: i.e., at least 15,000 individuals of each.
Canada and Ross's geese combined probably comprised the remaining 10%.
I was able to identify at least 30 or 40 individual Ross's, but this
was certainly only a small percentage of the number of Ross's which
were actually present.

I was most impressed by the numbers of Greater White-fronted Geese,
and I have to think a record number of these would have been recorded
had we been able to count them all. Two of the flocks I tried to count
each had a minimum of 1,500 white-fronteds, and there were several
other flocks with just as many or more individuals of this species.

The area covered was in southeastern Nobles Co (mostly on 29 March)
and southwestern Jackson Co (on 30 March), bounded on the north by
I-90, on the west by U S Hwy 59, and on the east by MN Hwy 86. The
lakes were still almost entirely frozen, except for some relatively
small areas of open water on a few of the lakes; Lake Okabena in
Worthington had the most open water that we saw, but it was still >90%
frozen. There were only a few small areas of open water found in
fields resulting from snowmelt, and the ground was almost entirely
free of snow cover.

Other migrants of interest from this past weekend included:

- 19 species of ducks: i.e., all the regular species occurring in SW
Minn, including Greater Scaup on L Okabena
- Greater Yellowlegs at L Okabena
- 4 Franklin's Gulls on L Okabena
- Red-bellied Woodpecker at Hawkeye Co Park on Indian Lake (thanks to
a tip from Brian Smith), plus another in the town of Jackson
- E Phoebe in Worthington
- Northern Shrike near L Ocheda, plus an unidentified fly-by shrike at
Indian L
- Red-breasted Nuthatches in Worthington and Lake Bella Co Park
- Lincoln's and Swamp sparrows at Lake Bella Co Park
- small flock of fly-by Lapland Longspurs near Round Lake
- good numbers of Rusty Blackbirds at several locations
- 2 Great-tailed Grackles in Jackson Co: along Hwy 86, 3 mi N of Iowa
border

Kim Eckert