[mou] Barred Owl "owl ball"

Thomas Maiello thomas at angelem.com
Mon Mar 31 12:28:24 CDT 2008

My friendly neighborhood Barred Owl dropped an owl ball yesterday and
I was eager to check it out.  I used to study Great Horned Owls'
roosts at the mouth of a Mexican Freetail Bat colony cave in western
Oklahoma which included a study of their prolific rendering of owl
balls.  From the GHOs I could unfold complete bat skeletons and other
small mammals so I was excited about what the Barred Owl ball would
reveal.  I was quite surprised to find no evident animal parts at all
- only what looked like plant matter similar to lichens and mosses
throughout.  When I researched about their diets there was no mention
of vegetative ingestion.  I expected partial bone fragments and hair.
Not really earth shaking but interesting none-the-less.

No Maple Grove Barred Owl today, but a long stationary sit yesterday
and the opportunity to meet two dedicated photographers.  Thanks for
sharing this experience with me.

Thomas Maiello
Angel Environmental Management, Inc.
Maple Grove, MN