[mou] What are the requirements for posting to the list server.

Derek Bakken spottedtowhee at gmail.com
Sun May 4 00:00:35 CDT 2008

At the risk of starting an argument (why not - haven't had one in a
few weeks on here)

This is the response I received to my most recent post (names have
been removed - no point in making it personal)

> You can find all of those warblers in any park in the whole
> southern half of the state right now.  After all it is migration
> and that is a normal common thing.  Heck, we saw over 20 palm
> warblers in northern MN today and we weren't even looking for them
> His post was out of line.  It was about trying to sell photos and
> not doing anything to further MOU subscribers understanding of MN
> birds.
>
> This is part of the rules for MOUnet.
>
> "We particularly invite posts of observations that contribute to
> the understanding of the birds in the state. This includes
> sightings of birds that are unusual, in an unusual location or out
> of season, or present in significantly higher numbers than normally
> expected."
>
> Jeff Fischers posts and others like his are driving the best
> birders in this state off of MOUnet.  They don't want to be
> associated with this junk.

What is out of line or wrong with Jeff's post from 5/1/08?

"Yesterday I had a couple of free hours between work and work so I
made a stop off at the Bass Ponds. There were not many waterfowl
around, except a pair of hooded mergansers and a pair of blue winged
teal, but there were quite a few yellow-rumped warblers as well as
barn and tree swallows. The catch of the day was a palm warbler down
by the first pond. It was fairly cooperative and I got a few good
pics as well as a lot of yellow-rumps pics and some mating green
darner dragonflies. I will try to get the pics up on my blog, http://
ecobirder.blogspot.com/ as soon as I can.
Thanks,
Jeff Fischer"

1) He is not trying to sell photos anywhere on his blog that I can
see.  And if he is  - so?

2) I know many birders on this listserv have expendable income and/or
lots of free time.  They have the time and money to get out often and
go where the birds are being seen.  That's fine, but many people,
like me,  on this listserv don't.  I work two jobs, 55+ hours, most
weekends, and am frequently broke.  I get out when I can and where I
can and it is nice to know what is being seen and where, even if it
is not a "chasable" bird.

3) I subscribe to 3 other listservs (IA, ND, SD) and all of them have
frequent postings of common/everyday sightings and personal stories.
Why not this one?

4) What is the definition of "best birders?"

-Derek