[mou] more observations on yesterday

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Sun May 4 10:43:06 CDT 2008

Spring migration is still thin.  The warblers were mostly of the early wave
with Yellow-rumps still the bulk of the small birds and Orange-crowns,
Palms, Black & Whites, and Pines relatively well-represented.  I was
surprised by the higher
numbers of Nashvilles and Waterthrush.   The next wave dominated by
Tennessees has definitely not arrived.  Also the early Ruby-crowns were
fairly common.  But, still overall numbers of small birds were low.
thrushes were not to be found and sparrows were for the most part light with
small numbers of White-throated.  Fox Sparrows were gone and Song and
Chippers were important members of the thin chorus of on-territory birds.

Water levels are high along the Mississippi.  Sand Point is inaccessable
except by knee-high rubber boots, at least.  Traditional shorebird spots are
beneath water and I found only a Solitary Sandpiper in a farm lot.  I did
not see any shorebirds in the farm fields, but there is a lot of water for
them to be dispersed to.

A thank you to Dave Cahlander for his gratuity to me for participating on
the field trip.  Many of our field trip leaders volunteer their time and
gasoline without expectations other than sharing their experience.  With the
high price of gasoline, I will be offering a token of my appreciation on
future field trips I join.  But, as a leader, I realize that many
participants will also be battling the high price of gasoline, and I would
be sadden if any of them saw the expectation of a tip as a barrier to
participation.   If a small percentage of us make an offering, it would be a
significant impact. thanks.

Steve Weston