[mou] Common Moorhen, Nicollet County

rdunlap at gac.edu rdunlap at gac.edu
Thu May 8 19:50:01 CDT 2008

I went canoeing on Swan Lake in Nicollet County this afternoon with
one of my college professors and we found a Common Moorhen in the
marsh way out in the middle of the lake. We put in our canoe at the
boat access on the northeast side of the lake and paddled pretty much
straight south from there. The bird was actually perched on a clump of
reeds before we spooked it back into thick cover. Unless you plan on
canoeing the lake, I'm guessing your chances of finding this bird are
pretty small, although the marsh that can be viewed from this north
access is pretty good habitat, so maybe it will venture closer to the
boat launch.

Other birds we observed on the lake:

American Bittern (several vocalizing, some of which could be heard
from the boat launch)
Sora
Western, Eared, Red-necked, and Pied-billed Grebes
Black-crowned Night-Heron

Good birding!
Bob Dunlap, Nicollet County