[mou] Great day at Eagle Lake

Thomas Maiello thomas at angelem.com
Fri May 9 13:17:22 CDT 2008

Did my usual ever improving rounds along Zachary Lane at the WNW
corner of the lake.  Awesome day!

One odd bird of note - a large flycatcher but generally pale
undersides and rufous tail.  I thought it was a Great Crested but the
undersides were pale and no distinguished yellow but the bill said
flycatcher and the size said Great Crested but the book said Ash-
Throated but not in our area.  Any ideas?  It was high up in the tree
tops catching flyers.  I was holding it as a Great Crested one year
old or pale famale or something.  Watched it for a good 10 minutes and
this is the best I could come up with.

Birds of note - gonna list all of them seen during my hour and a half
out there - even the common ones

Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Green Heron
Northern Oriole
Hooded Merganser
Coot
Wood Duck
Red-winged Blackbirds
Cowbirds
Common Grackles
American Redstart
Yellow Warblers
Goldfinches
Crows
Cooper's Hawk (nest #6 - if you build it she will come - saw the pair
and they appear to be in blessed hawktrimony)
Swamp Sparrow
Cedar Waxwing
Ovenbird
Purple Finch (lifer)
House Finch (conveniently there for comparison - thank you great
spirits)
House Wren
Marsh Wren
Ring-necked Pheasant
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Double-Crested Merganser
Horned Grebe
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
Yellow-rumped Warblers
Robins
Brown Thrasher
Palm Warblers
Kingfisher
Mourning Doves
White-breasted Nuthatches
Black-capped Chickadees
Cardinals
Mallards
Canadian Geese
Yellow-Bellied Sapsuckers
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Ring Billed Gulls
Common Terns
Bluejays
Chipping Sparrows
Common Loon
Black and White Warbler

And I think I am missing some!  Isn't that like 50 species!?!?! All in
a hour and a half!!!!  What a great day!  Time for lunch.  My work
here is done.

Wonder what might show up later on?

Thomas Maiello
Angel Environmental Management, Inc.