[mou] Up north in Bemidji

Pat DeWenter hoocooks4you at gmail.com
Fri May 9 15:56:11 CDT 2008

We returned here Tuesday from TX, just ahead of the birds it seems.  Our
lake is open, but Lake Bemidji still has a lot of ice.  Yesterday, in the
open water were rafts of Common Goldeneye and Bufflehead, and what I assume
were Lesser Scaup.  I didn't have my scope along to check for Greater.
There were also 2 pair of Eared Grebes.

In our yard today, we have had a large number of Yellow-rump Warblers, along
with one Palm and one Black-and-White.  We also had 2 Yellow-bellied
Sapsuckers, 1 male Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and 2 Chipping Sparrows.  As cold
as it has been, there are very few insects for these birds.  Hope they will
survive!

I saw the newscast about all the dead Bluebirds and Tree Swallows that have
been found.  I assume the lack of food also will apply to Warblers, Orioles,
Tanagers and other insect eaters.  I think this spring would be a good year
to put out mealworms, and suet.

Pat DeWenter
Bemidji/Beltrami Co.