[mou] 19 (20?) warbler day at Murphy-Hanrehan (Scott County)

Derek Bakken spottedtowhee at gmail.com
Sat May 10 17:44:18 CDT 2008

I went out birding this morning with a MRVAC group led by Cheri Fox.

Between 8am and noon we discovered 19 species of warblers.  I think
most people in the group saw between 13-16 of the 19.

Yellow-rumped
Cape May (FOY)
Black-throated Green
Nashville
Tennessee
Black&White
Magnolia (FOY)
Common Yellowthroat
Orange-crowned
Ovenbird (FOY)
Northern Parula
Chestnut-sided (FOY)
Golden-winged
Blue-winged (FOY)
Blackburnian
American Redstart
Yellow
Palm
Blackpoll (female)

A Hooded warbler was heard but not seen, so I guess that makes a nice
even 20 if you count birds unseen.

Some other FOY's for me:  Marsh and Sedge Wren, Eastern Kingbird,
Philadelphia Vireo, Ruby-throated Hummingbird,

On our way out after looking for the Hooded, we saw a Red-shouldered
Hawk on the nest.

Thanks to Cheri for leading the group.  What a great morning.

-Derek Bakken
Minneapolis, MN

www.flickr.com/photos/dobak
ornitholature.blogspot.com