[mou] current birds

john c. nelson nelsonjc at hickorytech.net
Sat May 10 21:21:32 CDT 2008

Still have a number of White-Throat, White Crowned, and Harris'
Sparrows around feeders. A nice group of same near Pet Expo in Mankato
under evergreens foraging for sweepings we throw out.. A customer
today reported a group of 10-12 birds he did not recognize until he
checked his book and identified Crossbills. Red or White winged he did
not know. I have had an Orchard Oriole since last Friday and as many
as 3 male Northerns, have not seen a female as yet. Several Male Rose-
Breasted Grossbeaks and one female. Few sightings of Hummingbirds, my
first  Friday morning. Many have Grossbeaks and Orioles, very exciting
after a long winter. I was severely chastised by a lady for selling
thistle sacks as she had a Goldfinch get a claw caught in one and tear
a leg off. She had contacted a local humane society and been told  to
take hers down as they are hazardous for birds. My favorite Nyjer
feeder, it took me an hour to recover from this tirade. I would
welcome comment.
John Nelson
Near Beauford MN