[mou] Hooded Warbler ~ Waseca

Dave Bartkey screechowl at charter.net
Sun May 11 19:02:15 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,

  Maplewood Park on the southeast end of Clear Lake, Waseca continues to be
a gem for warblers as I tallied 18 species there this morning. Most
prominent was a male Hooded Warbler. I located it at first about 100 - 150
yds. down the middle trail (of three main trails) from the parking lot. It
was foraging low, less than knee high. I later re-located it briefly,
feeding low once again, moving with a flock of Yellows, Nashville's, and
Palms. I spent the next several hours walking around and sorting thru
warblers without success of finding the bird again. However, there were so
many birds moving around the whole time I was there, I have no doubt it
remained within the park and I just missed it. (By the way, this is the
first that I've been home all day, thus the lateness of this post. I
apologize!)

  Other warblers:

Pine

Golden-winged

Magnolia

Blackburnian

Black-throated Green

Wilson's

Orange-crowned

Yellow

Nashville

Redstart

No. Waterthrush

Ovenbird

Yellow-rumped

Palm

Blackpoll

Black & White

Tennessee

(Linda Born spotted a Bay-breasted Warbler as well, which I didn't find.)

Other neat birds seen here were:

Scarlet Tanager

Red-headed Woodpecker

Barred Owl

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Osprey

Blue-headed Vireo

and on the way home, I saw an Orchard Oriole (Thanks Linda :-))

and several Black Terns at Watkins Lake.

Then I added two additional warblers for the day on a short walk at River
Bend Nature Center with my family:

Cape May

Common Yellowthroat

Plus, a Sora struggling into the wind, flying across the lower pond, only to
land on a flimsy reed and plopping into the water, then swimming to shore!
Jim Otto told me he saw the same thing happen yesterday! Jim, it was very
cool!

Good birding!

Dave Bartkey

Faribault, MN