[mou] More on the BN stilt

Benjamin Fritchman fieldfare21 at hotmail.com
Sun May 11 23:22:51 CDT 2008

Thanks to Bobby D. for posting the Black-necked Stilt. I found the bird at 8 P.M. and as of 9:15 when it got too dark to watch the bird anymore, it was still present. Ron Erpelding showed up soon after he got word of it and he was able to watch it with me. Also of note was an American Avocet present. At times the Stilt and Avocet were feeding side by side, which was something I didn't think I'd ever see in Minnesota. It was pretty neat comparing these two elegant shorebirds side by side. Pretty cool scene. The local farmer came down to see what we were looking at and we showed him the two shorebirds. He had seen the Ibises present here last week....so the first three birds on his list are White-faced Ibis, Black-necked Stilt, and American Avocet. We encouraged him to become a birder immediately hahaha.
Also present were numerous Wilson's Phalaropes, Pectoral Sandpipers, Sempalmated Plovers, Short-billed Dowitchers, Lesser Yellowlegs, and Killdeer.

Ben Fritchman
(now back in Long Prairie for the summer)