[mou] Dakota Co. shorebird report

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Tue May 13 02:20:54 CDT 2008

Checked out shorebird locations in Dakota County in the last couple of days.
All of the shorebirds found were on Sunday.  Apparantly the shorebirds
realize that I rarely can bird during the week, other than fast looks
usually without slowing down.  Revisiting most of the locations on Monday, I
found nothing (except Killdeer, which do not count).

Lake Byllesby:  Water is relatively high, but there are sandy shores and
shallows on the west end.  We found a flock of Lesser Yellowlegs and a
Spotted Sandpiper.  This is probably the best habitat in the county.  (from
Hwy 56 & CR88 just east of Randolph, go east to first private railroad
crossing on right and walk in)

180th Street Marsh:  About 20 birds in six species:  Both Yellowlegs, Least
Sandpipers, a Semi-palmated Sandpiper, and a pair of courting Spotted
Sandpipers (cool!).   (from Hwy 52 go east 4 or 5 miles).

140th Street Marsh:  Did not visit.  Heard from others.  No habitat.
Virtually no marsh.

Castle Rock sod farms:  Some damp spots, but no shorebirds.

Empire Sod farms:  same as Castle Rock

Visited several other vernal wet spots that are usually farmed, but attract
shorebirds.  Damp spots had no shorebirds.

sweston2 at comcast.net