[mou] Otterail warblers & a puzzling one

Jeff and Amy Drake jadrake at arvig.net
Tue May 13 08:49:55 CDT 2008

I'll start with the puzzle.  The bird was in a grassy area/pasture within a 1/4 mile of water.  It seemed to be about waterthrush size, had the whitish, striped sides & eye stripe of the waterthrush or oven bird but had a rusty cap like a palm warbler and distinctly yellow chin/throat area and under the rump (not quite as bright as the yellow warbler in those areas but close).  Any ideas?  I really can't seem to find any matches in my bird book.  My closest guess is the "western" palm warbler but it seemed larger and the sides were more heavily striped.  I don't remember if it bobbed it's tail or not.  Any ideas?  I may try to relocate it this weekend.

---

We found a nice bunch of warblers on Sunday in our area  (our yard & a side-road somewhere along Dead Lake).  Not too many species but a great many individuals - particularily the 1st two on the list.

palm (not at all afraid of the car, we were afraid we'd run them over!)
yellow-rumped
yellow
Wilson's
redstarts
ruby crowned kinglets

also:
solitary sandpiper (FOY:  1, of course)
coots
northern shovelers
mallards
wood ducks
canada geese
common tern
Forster's tern
ring-billed gulls
red winged blackbirds (females here too)
Brewer's blackbird (FOY)
grackles
starlings
crows