[mou] Cook Co. tough birds

Jim & Carol Tveekrem jotcat at boreal.org
Tue May 13 17:20:11 CDT 2008

We have had numerous Chipping Sparrows for at least a week - they
replaced many of the Juncos during one of the rare spells with warm
winds from some other direction than northeast.  Still a few juncos
about, increasing numbers of White-crowned Sparrows, fewer
White-throated Sp., but a few of those will stay to nest nearby.  Today
brought a Harris's Sp., presumably a different individual than the one
who spent the winter with us.  Clay-colored, Song and Lincoln's Sparrows
also present in small numbers.  Tree Swallows have been investigating
bird houses, no nest building activity yet.  Ruby-crowned Kinglets in
small flocks, ditto for Brown Creepers.  We have had the most
brilliantly colored Purple Finches here this spring, and staying here
for weeks now.  No warblers except Yellow-rumped and Palm, but a very
determined Yellow-rump challenged a Hairy Woodpecker for a spot at a
suet feeder, and eventually got it, with a half dozen of his buddies
then joining him.  Only one Y-Rump appeared to be possible female.
Amazing little birds.  Saw my first of season Rose-breasted Grosbeak
today, then heard that a friend who lives a few miles inland had had one
at her place since Saturday.

No shortage of Robins, Redwinged Blackbirds, Com. Grackles or Cowbirds.
Had one pair of Rusty Blackbirds last Thursday.  Kestrels common sitting
on wires, and one lived up to it's old Sparrowhawk name by catching and
eating a small (probably Chipping) sparrow in our front yard.  The wind
scattered the plucked feathers, and some scavenger must have grabbed any
other remains.  While the Kestrel ate, the small birds continued to
crowd our feeders, and scattered only when he (well-marked male) took
off again.  They were soon back.

There are still some rafts of ducks on Lake Superior, especially Scaup.
Larger lakes gradually losing their ice, and wind and rain today may
have helped finish the job.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird reported from Colville, 30+ miles northeast of
here.  I have yet to see one, but I've been working indoors for a few
days.

Carol Tveekrem,
Schroeder