[mou] 19 Warbler Species (Golden Valley, Hennepin Co.)

alyssa tiger150 at comcast.net
Tue May 13 19:11:30 CDT 2008

The number of warblers was simply phenomenal this evening. Warblers seen between Cortlawn Pond areas and Westwood Hills Nature Center, in order from most abundant to least:

Am. Redstarts (respond well to pishing)
Yellow (singing)
Yellow-rumped (singing)
Tennesee (singing a lot)
C. Yellowthroat (singing)
B+W
Nashville
Chestnut-sided
Magnolia
Blackpoll
Cape May (3-4 that hung close to Cortlawn)
Northern Waterthrush
Wilson's
Ovenbird (singing)
Palm
Bay-breasted
Blackburnian
N. Parula
Golden-winged (singing)

Other birds seen/heard include Pine Siskin, R-B Nuthatch, Yellow-throated Vireo, Clay-colored Sparrow, and numerous Lincoln's Sparrow, along with other usual suspects.

Aparently, there was a sighting of a Prothonotary Warbler at Cortlawn Pond on Sunday; however, I only found out about it today, and I could not relocate it. I wasn't able to relocate any B-C N Herons, either, and I haven't seen any for the past week.

Good birding!!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Golden Valley
tiger150 at comcast.net