[mou] Maple Grove high lights (long - what else)

Thomas Maiello thomas at angelem.com
Wed May 14 18:27:26 CDT 2008

Had another remarkable day birding by Eagle Lake in Maple Grove.  Two
life birds today - one walked by my home office window and still shows
up throughout the day and the other was branch hopping in a tree a few
hundred feet from my door.  Birded with Lynne from New Hope and we had
a ball seeing many warblers and other fancy stuff.

Birds and noticings of note

Looked out my window this morning and saw little action until a small
little yellow fluffball walked by, nose (beak) to the ground.  Scoured
the book for a yellow bird with black marking around it's neck and
after casting aside Kentucky Warbler - I figured that the black
markings on yellow breast and neck were the indicator of the Canada
Warbler - a lifer

Then after a fruitful day of birding with Lynne taking pictures (and
you would have to ask her of her experience), we started heading back
and noticed a solo bird in a bare tree.  First glance said Cape May
but something was missing and the bird was too plain.  Then realized
it was missing a brownish patch on the eye and seemed to have a
whitish chin with black beneath it and nearly a Cape May eye but
fainter.  Scour book.  Scour book.  Scour book.  Yes, yes, no, no, Oh
My Goodness it is a Black-Throated Green Warbler without  hint of
green on it!  Yeehaw another lifer.

Earlier we danced with a Bay-breasted Warbler for several minutes
along some pines in full sun.  Man is that something to behold!

Also earlier we were blessed with visiting the area of the Cooper's
Hawk nest and got to watch one of the birds chase and almost catch a
Catbird.  Then a little bit away from that action we spotted the other
mate Cooper's who had caught a red squirrel and feasted while Lynne
shot digital pic after digital pic.

Many other joys including a White-breasted Nuthatch protesting the
presence of a Red-bellied Woodpecker pounding the wood nest to the
entrance of its crevice nest.  A Common Yellowthroat and Cape May
Warbler dancing outside my office window.  Several Ovenbirds showing
their boldness to eat overcoming their secreted lifestyle.  And very
cooperative Chestnut-sided Warblers.

Another glorious day in paradise.  Whew!  Time for a nap.

Thomas Maiello
Angel Environmental Management, Inc.
Maple Grove, MN