[mou] Yellow Rail in Itasca County

Earl Orf earlorf at uslink.net
Thu May 15 00:15:21 CDT 2008

Tonight (Wed 5-14) I finally found a Yellow Rail in Itasca County.  I heard
it calling three times; the third time was close and very clear.

I was at a pull off on the south side of Hwy 2, 5.6 miles east of Hwy 65.
This pull off was constructed a couple of years ago and it might actually be
a boat launch.  However, it does get you off the highway and is right along
an extensive cattail marsh.  One disadvantage of this site is that Hwy 2 is
quite busy and you can hear the traffic noise for a long distance.  That
makes it difficult to get a very long period of time that is quiet enough to
hear the rails.

I also heard several American Bitterns and several Soras calling.  I was
also surprised to hear a couple of Sandhill Cranes calling from out in the
marsh.

Earl Orf

www.earlorfphotos.com