[mou] Morphing? Harris Sparrow

Mary Hall mehall53 at msn.com
Thu May 15 13:55:00 CDT 2008

Hello birders!
Last night, I spotted a very strange looking bird within a small flock of  White Throated Sparrows. It was getting toward dark, and I studied it as long as I was able.
Poured over books and internet trying to figure out what the heck this larger than a sparrow, WHITE tailed, migrant was. I anxiously pursued it again this a.m. and
happily it was still around for better observation.
This time it was with a M Harris Sparrow and proved to be exact in shape, behavior, and so on. The difference is, the entire tail is snow white and there are large patches
of white on the secondaries with not much black (yet) on the face. In fact, the bird appears more white than anything. Until I saw the male, this one was a challenge.
The bird is stunning! I concluded this is an immature, winter plumage, Harris Sparrow.

Wondering if anyone else has seen one like it, or if this is common with this bird?

On the list this morn:

F Common Yellowthroat Warbler
Yellow Warblers
Catbirds
Many Barn Swallows (one on the bird feeder!)
Lincoln Sparrows
M and F Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks
M and F Orioles (lovin' all I have, jelly, oranges, and SEED!)
Least Flycatcher
Chipping Sparrows
Redstart
Flicker
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-Rumped Warblers.....have to dodge getting hit!

And all the other regulars, eating me out of house and home!

I wanted to add that I also experienced small flocks of Y-Rumps, on a back tar road, yesterday, when I was in Minnetonka, near Ridgedale.
I had to come to a complete stop several times so as not to hit any. Did anyone determine what they might be eating or doing?

Happy birding on this most glorious day!
Mary Hall
mehall53 at msn.com<mailto:mehall53 at msn.com>
Brooklyn Center, Henn. Co.