[mou] Steele County Big Day

Dave Bartkey screechowl at charter.net
Thu May 15 22:43:18 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,

  Dedrick Benz and I performed a Big Day in Steele County today and totaled
149 species of birds.

Best birds:

Willet and Black-crowned Night Heron @ Oak Glen Lake.

Wilson's Pharalope @ wetland about 4 miles east, then one mile north of
Ellendale.

Western Grebe @ Rice Lake State Park (Thanks Ken Vail!)

Orchard Oriole near Hope (Thanks Nels Thompson!)

At least 2 Common Loons and another BCN Heron at Rice Lake.

22 species of warbler before noon at the state park, they included:
Cerulean, Cape May, Canada, Blue-winged, Northern Parula.

12 species of shorebird, 10 species of sparrow.

Big misses included: Ovenbird, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Cooper's Hawk,
Broad-winged Hawk, and Virginia Rail. We also had zero owls.

Very, very fun but I'm beat! Sweet dreams everybody!

Dave Bartkey

Faribault, MN

screechowl at charter.net