[mou] 20 warbler species, Olive-sided Flycatcher in Little Canada, Ramsey Co.

cjsteiny at comcast.net cjsteiny at comcast.net
Fri May 16 14:39:08 CDT 2008

If you're heading to Lake Vadnais to see the Western Tanager, you might want to stop by this ponding area in Little Canada.  It had 18 species of warblers yesterday afternoon with a gorgeous Canada and my FOY Mourning, Blackpoll, and Magnolias.  Also had 3 Northern Parulas.  I returned this morning with two friends and saw 12 species of warbler.  There were definitely fewer warblers today than yesterday but still some nice ones.  My 85 year old friend got to see her first Northern Parula - there was one still working the wild pear blossoms.  This ponding area is located between Noel Drive and Edgerton Sts. and between Little Canada Rd. and Labor Rd.  Exit I 35 E at Little Canada Rd. and go east for less than a mile to first stop sign.  Turn north on Edgerton St.;  Look for frst left turn-off which is a parking lot for the ponding area.

The Olive-sided Flycatcher was along the paved trail going south from this parking lot - perched on a tall snag to the right of the trail and only a couple hundred yards up the trail.  He would fly out periodically to hawk for insects, then return to this perch. I saw a Blue-headed Vireo in the north-east corner of the ponding area yesterday.  He was there when I arrived and 5 hours later when I left.  Didn't find him today but my friend was getting tired and we didn't look for very long.  I saw one here last year as well.  The Northern Parula spot is in the southwest corner of the ponding area.  If you continue down the trail past the Olive-sided spot and continue to follow the pond shoreline, you'll come to a bridge.  There are flowering wild pear trees on the west side of the bridge.  We saw the Northern Parula, a Cape May, and a couple of Tennessees in there.

Good birding,
Cheri Steinmueller
Little Canada, MN