[mou] Birding about the metro

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Sat May 17 02:04:31 CDT 2008

Stopped by Murphy-Hanrahan Park in Scott County on Thursday evening.   Found
at least 12 warblers and might have had a Cerulean Warbler, including FOY
Blue-winged and Wilsons.  Best birds included several singing Wood Thrushes
(no Veeries) and Great Creasted Flycatchers.  Very abundant and noisy frogs
definitely were a distraction, including Spring Peepers, Copes Gray
Treefrog, American Toads, and a few Chorus Frogs.  I met a father pushing a
stoller and leading his two youngsters on a mushroom hunt.  They were
finding small morels.

At home I am still being waylaid on my way out by migrant birds, including
several Swainsons Thrushes, and at least five species of warblers, including
Blackpoll and Magnolia, and a singing Blackburnian.  In the evening a Copes
Gray Treefrog walks across one of my windows.

Along highway 280 I observed a Sharp-shinned Hawk closing in on a larger
Rock Pigeon.

sweston2 at comcast.net