[mou] Brant Still Present, Tues, late afternoon, 5/20

David Benson bensodavid at gmail.com
Tue May 20 19:43:20 CDT 2008

The Brant was still present late this afternoon. Apparently, no large
events are scheduled at the stage until June 6th, so perhaps it will
hang in until the weekend.

Dave Benson
Duluth

PS regarding wildness: A definitive photo showing a clip would
certainly be a strike against wildness. I do not think, however, that
the apparent tameness of a bird (short of it landing on one's
shoulder) ought to be used in the difficult and thankless task of
judging wildness. I have seen many birds, especially shorebirds
(surely wild) and geese, forage placidly through soccer matches,
ultimate frisbee games, and kite-flying parties here along the
waterfront in Duluth. In the case of Brant, Madge and Burn note
further that the birds "are often remarkably confiding, particularly
isolated individuals and families."