[mou] Whimbrels & Black-throated Blue

Kim R Eckert eckertkr at gmail.com
Wed May 21 15:28:43 CDT 2008

Today, May 21, there were 5 Whimbrels in Knife River in Lake Co and a
Black-throated Blue Warbler in Duluth. The Whimbrels were seen at noon
on the rocks on the W side of Knife Island, and the Black-throated
Blue was singing this afternoon ~100 yards east of the entrance to
Chester Bowl along E Skyline Pkwy.

The warbler migration is apparently still going strong here, since I
saw 17 species today during about 3 hours of casual midday birding,
mostly along the N Shore between Duluth and Two Harbors. Besides the
Black-throated Blue, the highlights were 3 late Orange-crowneds,
several Cape Mays, a Blackpoll, and a Mourning. Since this was without
any special effort to locate warblers, I would assume that a warbler
list of 20 species would have been likely today if I had gone out
earlier and included Park Point.

(There are 26 warblers which regularly occur in Duluth. Of these, I
missed Golden-winged, Tennessee, Blackburnian, Pine, Palm, Bay-
breasted, N Waterthrush, Connecticut, and Canada: perhaps some other
Duluth-area birders were out today and saw some of these?)  Kim Eckert