[mou] birds of cook county

Josh Watson the_kinglet_17 at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 22:53:34 CDT 2008

Hello to all you birders out there,
This is Josh Watson reporting on recent sightings in Cook County. I've been out and about the last few days enjoying the nice weather all those birds that finally decided to visit this long lost part of the state. Around home the warblers can finally be seen and heard consistantly which include: Redstart, Yellow-rumped, Blackburnian, Mourning, Northern Parula, Black-and-White, Nashville, Black-throated Green, Magnolia, Northern Waterthrush, and Ovenbird. I also heard a Blue-headed Vireo on our land this morning however I have not come across a Red-eyed up here quite yet. I did a little birding over along the Trout lake Rd. up the Gunflint and CR-60 farms area and followed up on an Olive-sided Flycatcher along CR-14 just north of the CR-60 junction. I had Cliff, Barn, and Tree Swallows at the farms, Bittern, Red-winged Blackbird, Common Yellowthroat, Sedge Wren, Am. Kestrel, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Evening Grosbeak, White-crowned Sparrows, Savannah
 Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Lincolns Sparrow, Eastern Bluebird, Alder and Least Flycatcher, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Am. Pipit, Wilsons Warbler and a few other common species but nothing too amazing as well as most of the warbler species named above. I spoke with the land owner of the first farm along CR-60 and found out he has been seeing Sandhill Cranes on his fields regularly as well. Yesterday I had saw a lone Bobolink on Artists Point along with Red-necked Grebes and Long-tailed Ducks out on Lake Superior. Red-breasted Merganser, Bufflehead, and Goldeneye were all I saw inhabeting the harbor but I saw a pair of Blue-winged Teal on a small pond behind the treatment center in the Recreation Park/Municipal Camp Ground. I had about 30 Whimbrel on the lone Rock Island out from Cut Face Creek west of Grand Marais and several Long-tailed Ducks there as well. I also noted about 30 to 40 Chimney Swifts flying about the Cook County
 School earlier in the week. So far the birding is a little slow up this way yet and the birds seem to be just getting here and kinda staggering there way in a little at a time.
Good birding,
Josh Watson
Grand Marais/Cook County