[mou] Red-throated Loon Duluth Mn

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Sun May 25 13:45:20 CDT 2008

I spotted a Red-throated Loon off Lafayette Square boardwalk around 11am.
Other Park Pt. Birds:
-Ruddy Turnstones (9)
-Sanderling (1)
-Bonaparte Gulls (70)
-Black-bellied Plover (1)
* Despite the rain and chilly temperatures there were no signs of any significant migration movement along Park Pt.
Heard reports from other birders that the Brant was seen this morning at Bayfront Park.  For those that have no idea where this park is located:
-Take I-35 into Duluth
-Get off on the Lake Avenue Exit.
-Take a right on 5th Ave. West (stoplights)
-Take the right exit before the Aquarium entrance.
-Take a left on Railroad Street and park in the parking lot just west of children's park and walk over the berm towards the main stage. Look for the Brant on the lawn or in the bay.
I added these directions because a birder thought the bird was at the ballfield at Park Point.  Hopefully these directions will those that have not made the trip up to see this Brant.  In spring of 1980 (?) Kim Eckert showed me my first Brant at Park Pt. and I clearly remember how that brant was also had a high tolerance for people that came near it.
Mike

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/