[mou] yellow-throated warbler, Rachel Lilly Nature Preserve, Dodge Nature Center, Mendota Heights, Dakota County

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Sun May 25 16:18:56 CDT 2008

This afternoon, Rob and I encountered a warbler of a singular set of
field marks which matched none we'd ever seen before. It was feeding
along branches in a large oak beside a stream.  At first glance it
suggested magnolia or Canada, but no way could we make a total match.
Luckily, we had ample time and view to follow it and study its marks:

brilliant yellow throat, down to the breast
extended mask, with black stripe through the eye, and reaching down
the sides of the throat
white stripe above the eye
white half-ring below the eye
white patch behind the mask
black stripes extending down white flanks
white wing bars clearly visible against gray uppers

We have checked the marks against 3 sources: Sibley, Stokes Field
Guide to Warblers, and Warblers of the Great Lakes Region. The only
match we find is the yellow-throated warbler.
I would appreciate someone else checking to confirm, if possible.

Directions: From hwy 110 (Mendota Heights-Sunfish Lake- W. St. Paul
intersect area), go south on Delaware. Take the immediate right-hand
turn west on Dodge (Road, Trail, I forget the term); it will dead-end
in a turn-around with a sign labeled "Rachel Lilly Nature Preserve,
Thomas Irvine Dodd Nature Center". Follow the grassy trail parallel to
110, as it curves along the treeline. At the bottom of the hill it
will turn to cross a wooden bridge over a stream. The bird was feeding
in the large oaks to the left of the trail after it crosses the
stream.

Map link:http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=44.881782,-93.108337&spn=0.003573,0.010042&t=h&z=17

Linda Whyte