[mou] YTWA re-found

linda whyte linda at moosewoods.us
Sun May 25 22:53:08 CDT 2008

I now have a confirmation that 3 other birders re-found the YTWA in
Rachel Lilly Nature Preserve around 7:10 this evening, in precisely
the area where Rob and I saw it. One of them alluded to a YTWA's
having spent a summer in Acacia Cemetery, not too far away, so there
is precedent for having one stay locally awhile. In any case, the site
in Rachel Lilly Preserve is similar habitat to that which it inhabits
in its home range.

If it does stay, let's all make the effort to keep it comfortable, as
well as to respect the peace of residents nearby. There are homes off
Dodge Lane, and at least one dwelling is right on the edge of the
dead-end turn-around that serves as a parking lot for the trail
entrance described in the post. The bird itself, while feeding in the
upper canopy, is somewhat easily discernible for now, and not too hard
to follow, as it moves along branches for longer intervals than many
warblers do. (The bright yellow throat grabbed our attention, anyway!)
It needn't be subjected to rounds of recordings to be found and
enjoyed. In addition, we need to minimize our impact on this lovely
place, the access to which is granted by the generosity of Dodge
Nature Center benefactors.

Thanks to all who checked out this sighting, and to Jennifer and Glen
for keeping me posted.
Linda Whyte