[mou] Birding About

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Mon May 26 14:37:17 CDT 2008

5/21 (Wednesday) Maple Grove (85th & Revere Lane)  checked out the
grasslands adjacent to the sand pit:  Bank Swallows & Brewers Blackbirds

5/24 (Friday)  Goodhue County:  Ran down with Kevin Smith to the Frontenac
area for my frog & toad survey.  Under brillant skies the rapidly falling
temperatues probably quieted the frogs somewhat.  Toads were singing
everywhere.  We had five species of frogs and toads.  Most notable were that
the Gray Treefrogs were singing and Copes Gray Treefrogs in the same area
were silent.  Back at Quiggley Lake in Eagan the next night, the Copes and
Toads were deafing under a warmer sky.  In the marshes near Frontenac we had
Marsh Wrens and Virginia Rails calling.  I could not call out a
Whip-poor-will in the valley where I usually find them. I will try again
next month.  We stopped at Miesville Ravine on the way home and were able to
call out a Whip-poor-will.

5/25 (Saturday)  with Jim Ryan birded Scott Co., Nicollet County (Seven Mile
Creek) and LeSuer County.  Almost no migrating warblers were seen. I did
find a skulking Mourning Warbler in the pines at the Wilkie Unit in
Shakopee.  Seven Mile Creek was wonderful especially for the thrushes.  The
seven species included singing Veeries and Wood Thrushes, plus (silent)
Grey-cheeked and Swainsons.  Besides our close encounter with a Veery, we
had a Scarlet Tanager land about ten feet from us.  Stopped at a couple of
sites in LeSuer County.  We had an incredible look at a Sedge Wren and had
both Eastern and Western Meadowlarks singing.  During a dispute between
Eastern Kingbirds, one flashed his red crown.  We also found two small
flights of migrating Nighthawks, one of which treated us to a boom.  The
small numbers of Nighthawks, I hope were off-peak migration, and not the
last view of a crashing population.

sweston2 at comcast.net