[mou] Cook Co. birds

Jim & Carol Tveekrem jotcat at boreal.org
Mon May 26 17:54:43 CDT 2008

It rained birds up the shore, starting Sunday May 25.  Up until
yesterday, I had seen 5 species of warbler and one lone Veery.
    Yellow-rumped W.
    Western Palm W.
    Black & white W.
    Cape May W.
    Nashville W.         Except for the abundant Yellow-rumps and Palms,
the others were seen singly.

Yesterday, after the thunderstorms blew through, we found most of these
working in white cedars and back and forth to spruces.
    Yellow W., both male and female
    Magnolia, several birds, all male
    Blackburnian, one female
    Am. Redstart - numerous, both sexes
    N. Parula, female
    Canada W., several males
    Common yellowthroat - male on ground in morning
Most notable about these birds was absolutely no singing - just dashing
about finding food.

Today, May 26, during morning rain
    Orchard oriole, male, trying to eat at hummingbird feeder.  First of
these we have seen in MN, a bit north of usual range.
    Indigo buntings, pair at thistle feeder.
    Scarlet tanager, pair scrounging among flowerpots
    Tennessee W.
    Black-throated Green W.
    Wilson's W.
    Mourning W.   All four warbler species were males, possibly two or
more of all except for B-T Green W.
    One lone thrush, deep under a spruce, flew into a denser spruce.
Too many spots to be a Veery, didn't appear rusty anywhere, maybe
Gray-cheek or Swainson's.

Pair of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, possibly some of those we saw last week.
Canada, Magnolia, Blackburnian, Redstarts and C. Yellowthroat seen
again, possibly stayed since sky was cloudy with northeast winds last night.

We still have dozens of Chipping Sparrows, although the large flocks
left over a week ago.  Among them have been more Clay-colored Sparrows
than usual for here.
Dozens also of Amer. Goldfinches, still 8 or 10 Purple Finches, and most
days a few Pine Siskins at feeders.   Fortunately, no bears for
competition.  This is the latest we have ever kept feeders going in
spring.  Abundant song from finches, a couple White-throated Sp., but
very little from warblers.

So far, NO vireos.  Phoebes and Tree Swallows nesting in neighborhood,
saw a small Empid., looked like a Least Flycatcher.

Hope they all found enough to eat to survive the deep freeze tonight.

Carol & Jim Tveekrem,
Schroeder