[mou] Birding Around Bagley-Long

Larson Kelly northernflights at charter.net
Tue May 27 09:30:03 CDT 2008

Memorial Day was no picnic. Cold, Drizzle, Wind. Went to the drive-in
for a Banana Split and parked at a small pond in Bagley near the
lumber yard. We watched two Green Herons chasing each other in
circles around the pond. Not sure what they were up to.

At Sandy Lake, Clearwater Cty 28 at the Bridge over the Clearwater
River, we found good shorebird habitat. Lots of exposed mud flats.
With only binoculars I was able to to key out only a few of the
species present. Five American Golden Plover, 3 Dunlin, Spotted
Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs, and, based on size, about a dozen
Semipalmated Plover.

One Brown Thrasher seen in a driveway in town.

At the Farm the feeders were very active all day. Topping the colour
charts were four Indigo Buntings, at least nine Baltimore Orioles, a
dozen Rose-breasted Grosbeak and over one hundred Goldfinch.
Hummingbirds have been sticking pretty close to the feeders, maybe
eight of them. Heard Golden-winged Warbler on Sunday and found them
in the young Poplar stands Monday evening.

Kelly Larson
The Bagley Farm, Clearwater County

Eschew Obfuscation!
The middle of Nowhere is Somewhere!