[mou] Morgan Park Mudflats, Duluth, gulls and shorebirds......

SCmzd at aol.com SCmzd at aol.com
Wed May 28 14:43:57 CDT 2008

Spent the last two mornings at the Morgan Park mudflats in West  Duluth.
Yesterday, saw my first white rumped sandpiper of the year.   Today, there were 5
ruddy turnstones, 2 semipalmated plovers, some least  sandpipers, a spotted
sandpiper, 2 killdeer, and most impressive were 200+  bonapartes gulls, (nearly
all of them without breeding plumage yet,  immatures?).  What was impressive
with these gulls is that they would flush  in unison every so often,
responding to the shorebirds flushing or in response  to a blue winged teal that came
in low, etc.  Well, the bonapartes would go  up several hundred feet in the
air, as a flock, kettle around for a few minutes,  then begin dropping back down
to the mudflats one after the other.  And I  mean dropping!
The bonapartes would make a quick bank then drop at least 100 to 200 feet  in
like three seconds, then bank again and drop right down to the water.   They
would drop in so fast and hard that they made tremendous wooshing sounds  all
around me as they came in.  Really cool, and might make  a gull fan out of
anyone.  Of note, the shorebirds encountered over  the last two days appeared
quite restless, none stayed very long to feed, like  they know they are a little
behind schedule I suppose.
Happy Birding, Shawn Zierman.

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.